Lower Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) in Harley Street, London
Dr De Silva prefers to use hidden incisions (termed trans-conjunctival blepharoplasty) in most lower eyelid cases.
FACELIFT SURGERY IN HARLEY STREET
- Dr De Silva prefers to use hidden incisions (termed trans-conjunctival blepharoplasty) in most lower eyelid cases. The surgery, although technically more challenging, avoids a scar on the skin.
- The figure shows an incision being made on the inside lining of the eyelid with a specialised instrument (CO2 laser or monopolar electrocautery machine). This technology prevents bleeding instantaneously, thereby reducing swelling and speeding up recovery. The soft tissues are then supported both superiorly and inferiorly to enable the fibrous septum to be seen in the lower eyelid.
- A fibrous, layer known as the orbital septum is opened, which reveals the orbital fat pockets. The appearance of bags beneath the eyes is a result of the fat pushing forwards. However, there is a controversy between surgeons whether the fat should be removed or repositioned.
- Known as tissue-sparing, removal of excess fat may result in a hollowed appearance that is unsatisfactory and difficult to remedy. Dr De Silva uses both techniques, depending on the individual patient.
- Dr De Silva’s preferred technique is a conservative approach to transpose fat immediately below the eyelid at the cheek (termed fat transposition). In patients where there is a large volume of fat prolapsing forward both transposition of some fat and excision of the remaining fat may be the preferred option.
- Dr De Silva uses state-of-the-art technology, including a US-manufactured CO2 laser or monopolar electrocautery to establish meticulous control of bleeding. This is key to reducing bruising and preserving vision after surgery.
- Dr De Silva often utilises a supporting stitch during the healing period to improve the final result. In the figure, a canthopexy support stitch has been used to support the lower eyelid to the bony orbital rim. This stitch is completely hidden and dissolves a few weeks after surgery.
- All our patients are able to see immediately after surgery and can return home thirty minutes after the procedure is completed. No patient requires overnight hospital admission with Dr De Silva’s techniques.
- The older method of lower eyelid surgery involves making an incision immediately below the eyelid. This method always leads to a scar, can change the shape of the eyelid and sometimes results in eyelid retraction.
- Although this is the traditional method for eyelid surgery Dr De Silva advises against this technique to ensure a natural result with faster recovery and healing times.
Why Choose Dr De Silva in Harley Street, London ?
Dr De Silva is a widely credited and celebrated facial plastic surgeon who specialises in the eyes, nose, face and neck areas only, and is known for natural results.
“My focus has and always will be to be the very best at what I do, to continually innovate to provide World Class leadership to all my team, all my patients and all my associates. My mission is to help every patient be the very best version of themself with World-Class services, life-long follow up with complimentary facial aesthetic procedures.”
In a world of increasing complexity and misinformation, his passion has been focused on providing sincere advice, low risk and fast recovery procedures.
Facelift & Facial Only Treatments
By focusing entirely on only facial cosmetic surgery procedures, Dr De Silva is able to provide the expertise that can only come with specialisation: facelift and neck lift, blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty and chin implants.
Natural Looking Results
Dr De Silva is a believer in the importance of artistry behind cosmetic results and focuses his skills at delivering natural looking results.
Dr De Silva has pioneered the advances in technology to speed up recovery with a combination regenerative medicine techniques, Oxygen and LED Therapy.
World Class Expertise
Dr De Silva also teaches other surgeons internationally and has contributed to the development of advanced surgical techniques, laser technology and stitch-less tissue adhesives.
World Class Facial Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery
Blepharoplasty Before & Afters
Dr De Silva has transformed thousands of faces through his unique surgical techniques. Below is a small sample of some of his transformations.
What our satisfied clients are saying
“Having Lower Blepharoplasty with Dr. De Silva gives you the benefit of years of experience, qualifications not only in the U.K. but also the U.S. and yet you don’t lose the gentle bedside manner from this doctor. From our first meeting, Dr. De Silva won me over because he gave me the time to obtain answers and explanations to all my questions in kind details, as many times as I needed.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to go to hospital?
Blepharoplasty is commonly completed in a general hospital with other surgical procedures. Although this is the norm, it does not lead to an optimal patient experience as the staff are not specialised.
Dr De Silva has built a custom state of the art facility on Harley Street to enable complete specialisation for every patient. This can avoid issues with hospital-acquired infections, such as MRSA, providing the safest environment for patients.
Will I look like myself?
Dr De Silva customises his treatments based on your individual facial characteristics, which will give you a natural appearance. You will still look like you, only better!
Will people be able to tell?
Often, patients that have substantial rejuvenation are surprised how friends and family have not been able to tell. You will look less tired and refreshed which many people will put down to you having a good night’s sleep!
At what age should you get blepharoplasty?
There is no specific age limit for blepharoplasty and Dr De Silva has completed surgery for patients in their late eighties. Key to a successful blepharoplasty is your general health and fitness. We complete a comprehensive assessment of every patient before surgery as safety is always the number one priority.
Often there may be additional factors to consider with increasing age. These can include dry eyes, eyelid laxity and droopy eyelids (termed ptosis), these may require additional treatments at the same time as blepharoplasty to ensure a successful result.
Although loose skin, puffiness and lines around the eyelids are commonly associated with facial ageing, there are a smaller proportion of patients who have a genetic predisposition to these changes.
Lower eyelid bags or puffiness may be present in the late teens and early twenties and can be seen in other family members. The treatment of eye bags in young adults with a negative vector requires specific techniques to avoid lower lid retraction and support the lower eyelid after blepharoplasty, which Dr De Silva has written about extensively.
Note that lower blepharoplasty is not always necessary if you have very early signs of lower eyelid bags because some patients can be managed with non-surgical techniques.
Dr De Silva completes lower eyelid blepharoplasty on patients from their late teens to twenties, and some of his patients have travelled long distances as surgeons near their homes have not been able to complete surgery locally.
Dr Julian De Silva
5 stars based on 458 reviews
Renowned expert in Facelift/Facial Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery. Signature techniques in Blepharoplasty, Rhinoplasty and Facelift surgery. Expert in revision surgery and in natural looking results